Village of Veulen (www.veulen.be)
Since 1971 the village of Veulen* is part of the municipality of Heers, which is situated in the southern part of the province of Limburg (Belgium). The village lies in droog (dry) Haspengouw, an agricultural area which was the most populated and prosperous part of the province of Limburg. The village is about 950 acres and has approximately 435 inhabitants.
Since 1031 the seigniory of Veulen was part of the County of Loon (Looz) seated in Borgloon. Because of political reasons Veulen was granted in fief to the Duke of Brabant in 1219. Since that time it became an enclave in the County of Loon (The County of Loon itself was annexed by the Principality of Liege in 1366). In the peace treaties of Westfalen (1648) and Nijmegen (1678) Veulen was allocated to the (Dutch) States General of the Republic of the United Provinces. However the Duke of Brabant still claimed Veulen. Therefore, the inhabitants of Veulen had to pay taxes to the United Provinces and to the Duke of Brabant. The Treaty of Fontainebleau (1785) settled this problem. The Duke of Brabant disclaimed Veulen. In 1794 -1795 Veulen was annexed in the new department Nedermaas of the French Republic. From 1815 -1830 it was part of the Netherlands and thereafter of the independent Belgium.
(A. DEWELF, Veulen, Haspengouws kasteeldorp, 1991, 6-12; Bouwen door de eeuwen heen in Vlaanderen; een inventaris van het cultuurbezit in België; Arrondissement Tongeren - Kanton Borgloon (14n4), 1999, 341; Bart VAN LOON and André IMPENS, Historische nota, 2001, 3-4).